Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Arrowhead Hunting in Michigan

Currently in Michigan the crops are covering the fields making the surface collection of Native American artifacts more difficult, this however doesn't keep me from getting out there and looking. Even though finds are fewer and farther between summer arrowhead hunting can be a enjoyable productive pursuit. You simply need to adapt your strategy to match the conditions. Here is what I do.

  1. Rivers and streams are normally low this time of year so I will walk exposed stream bed and gravel bars looking for artifacts in the material deposited by the spring floods.
  2. Dry drainage ditches that run through farm land can be productive locations especially after a heavy rain.
  3. I search any area where erosion is naturally occurring, hillsides and slopes any where that the ground is exposed.
  4. Man made disturbances of the soil including, construction sites (with permission), dirtbike tracks, horse riding trails ect... can expose artifacts.
  5. I like to search blowouts areas in sandy soil where the wind moves the sand. 
  6. Last, but not least I just keep my eyes on the ground every where I go.
Don't let the lack of plowed ground keep you from getting out there this summer and adding to your arrowhead collection. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment